Ahlia University is equally inclusive to special needs students and non-special needs students. Students with special needs are welcomed to apply in all Ahlia University programmes. Admission of students with special needs is done through a special needs admission committee, which assess the potential of candidates to succeed in their chosen academic programme.
Special needs students are given support and guidance by Ahlia University faculty and staff, Directorate of Student Activities and Services and Directorate of Student Counseling. The university has a special needs committee that is responsible to pursue the welfare of all students with special needs.
In the case of undeclared special needs or in the case of a new development of any kind of special needs, the university’s special needs committee, faculty and staff at Ahlia University will endeavor to identify the special needs and will support students and their needs.
- Car Park: AU provides, where possible, special car parking slots for disabled students and students with special needs,
- Bathrooms: AU provides suitable bathrooms for disabled students and students with special needs,
- Entrances: AU provides suitable ramps on entrances as well as railings and elevator services (where appropriate) for disabled students and students with special needs,
- Classrooms: Where needed, especially designed seating facilities in classrooms and labs are provided.
AU will not provide a medical treatment for students with special needs. Rather, every effort will be made to provide these students with guidance to obtain medical treatment in public and private facilities in proximity to the University. The university has a full time nurse in the campus for any consultation and emergencies.
Classrooms and labs
- Assistive Devices: AU will allow students with special needs to use assistive devices in classrooms and labs and, where possible, will provide some supportive or adaptive devices that will help them learn better,
- Support in classrooms and labs: AU will respond adequately to the kind of impairment that the special needs student The impairments could be physical (like visual impairment or hearing impairment) or mental such as certain disorders (autism or epilepsy or others).
- Location and Duration of Exam: Where needed, the students with special needs will be provided with a separate location in a suitable environment to write the exam. Where necessary, additional exam time as appropriate will be provided for students with special needs to complete their exams,
- At all times, discretion in dealing with students with special needs is observed; an example would be if there is tardiness on arrival or difficulty in reaching the exam room,
- Where needed, we will provide necessary support for the student special needs to complete the exam and this support could be, for example, in the form of note-taking (or other).
Ahlia University strives to offer a healthy and enriching environment to support, guide, and encourage students with special needs to participate in general student activities within the university and/or beyond. We encourage all students to participate in local, regional, and international events that are designed to celebrate the achievements of all students in addition to events specifically designed for students with special needs.