Wasan Shakir is an Associate Professor and Dean of Information Technology College. She is holding BSc, MSc, and PhD degrees in Computer Science. Dr. Wasan joined the University of Bahrain in September 2002 as Assistant Professor of Computer Science and in 2012 she was promoted to Associative Professor of Computer Science. She joined Ahlia University in September 2014 as Associative Professor of Computer Science.
Dr. Wasan has 17 years undergraduates teaching experience in computer science and information systems and seven years post graduate teaching and supervision experience with more than 20 postgraduate student supervision. She has very good experience in problem solving and algorithm design, computer programming, information systems development and software engineering, most computer applications, research and development in computational intelligence, coding theory, and information security. Furthermore, she has good experience in preparing academic programmes, scientific and project planning and administration, and experience in the academic programs QA and accreditation.
Dr. Wasan has published papers in different fields of computer science and IT in a number of international journals and conferences. She also serves as a member of the editorial boards in a number of international journals and conferences.
She served Bahrain Community by, for example, publishing a number of articles in the newspapers, delivering a number of training courses, developing and improving academic programmes of other universities, being a consultant for ministry of social development, and chairing sessions in a number of Bahraini conferences.
She was awarded first prize for best paper presented at the National Computer Centre conference, Baghdad, 1998 and the University of Technology prize for best technical achievement for the year 1999, Baghdad.
Dr. Wasan is a member of a number of Scientific and Professional Societies, such as, IEEE, ACM, Machine Intelligence Research Labs (MIR Labs), and Internet Society.
- Computational intelligence
- business intelligence
- problem solving and algorithm design
- information security and cryptography
- coding theory
- MSc. Theory of Computer Science, Complexity Theory, Genetic Algorithms and Programming, Advanced Algorithms Design, Software Engineering, Cryptography and Computer Security, AI, BI, OO methodology.
- BSc. Digital Logic Design, Data Structure, Computation Theory, Algorithms Analysis and Design, Windows Programming, Information Technology, Software Engineering, Introduction To Computer Programming and Pascal, Visual Basic Language, C++ Programming Language, Management Information Systems, Data Base, Information Systems Design And Implementation, Object-Oriented Systems, Information Security, Computer Architecture, Knowledge Based Systems, Transaction Processing Systems, Web-Based Information Systems, Operating Systems, JAVA programming.
- Land evaluation using genetic algorithms
- A new keystream generator based on simulated annealing
- Using genetic programming to convert an object oriented design to object oriented program
- Automated synthesis of Petri net using simulated annealing
- Automated logic circuit design using genetic programming
- Decoding of linear block codes using genetic algorithms
- Automated construction of neural networks using genetic programming
- Synthesis of optical filter using genetic algorithms
- CGADS and ADGADS: new development in GADS
- Attacking stream ciphers using GA
- Designing Stream Ciphers using GADS and Simulated Annealing
- Improving Security of Multimedia Information Systems Using Information Hiding
- Improving the Security of Storage Systems using Cloud Computing: Bahrain Case Study
- Design and Analysis of Deterministic Algorithm for Combinatorial Optimization Problem (TSP)
Wasan Shaker Awad, “LBC design with specified minimum weight: traditional and intelligent approaches”, to be published 2017.
Hussain Mirza and Wasan Shaker Awad , “Multi-Matching Algorithm for Symmetric Travelling Salesman Problem”, SIAM Journal on Computing, to be published, 2017.
Wasan Shaker Awad, and Hanin Mohammed Abdullah, “Improving the Security of Storage Systems Using Cloud Computing”, Journal of Information Technology, to be published, 2017.
Khalifa Ahmed, El-Sayed M. El-Alfy, and , Wasan Shaker Awad, “Ant Colony Inspired Method for Reducing Load Imbalance in Multiprocessor Systems”, Journal of Intelligent and Fuzzy Systems, accepted 2017.
Wasan Shaker Awad, and Hanin Mohammed Abdullah, “Improving The Security Of Storage Systems: Bahrain Case Study” International Journal of Mobile Computing and Multimedia Communications”, USA, 6(3), pp. 78-108, 2014.
Wasan Shaker Awad, and Ali Zolait., “E-Mail as an Official Communication Tool in Bahrain: Individual and Public Organization Perspectives”, International Journal of E-Services and Mobile Applications, USA, 5(1), 2013, pp. 51-76.
Wasan Shaker Awad, ” On the Application of Evolutionary Computation Techniques in Designing Stream Cipher Systems”, International Journal of Computational Intelligence Systems, Australia, 4(5), September, 2011, pp. 921-928.
Wasan Shaker Awad, “Designing Stream Cipher Systems Using Genetic Programming”, LNCS, Springer,Vol. 6683, 2011, pp. 308-320.
Wasan Shaker Awad, “Information hiding using ant colony optimization algorithm”, International journal of technology diffusion”, USA, 2(1), 2010, pp. 16-28.
Wasan Shaker Awad and Huda Kadim Al Jobori, “Non Homogeneous Steganography Using Genetic Simulated Annealing”, International Journal of Information Science and Computer Mathematics, Pushpa Publishing House, 2(1), pp. 61-73, 2010.
Wasan Shaker Awad, “Deploying E-mail as an official communication tool: technical prospect”, International journal of computer science and security, 4(4), 2010, pp. 273-282.
Al-Bastaki, Y. and Wasan Shaker Awad, “New development in genetic algorithms for developing software”, Studies in Informatics and Control, 12(4), December 2003, pp. 277-284.
Khalifa Ahmed, El-Sayed M. El-Alfy, and , Wasan Shaker Awad, “Ant Colony Inspired Method for Reducing Load Imbalance in Multiprocessor Systems”, International Conference on Applied Soft Computing and Communication Networks (ACN 17), Manipal University, India, 13-16 September 2017.
Salma Abouamod and Wasan Shaker Awad, “Acquisition Budget Allocation Using Decision Support System”, 9th IEEE GCC 2017, 8-11 May 2017, Bahrain.
Jenan Moosa and Wasan Shaker Awad, “Developing a Fuzzy Database for Heart Disease Prediction”, International conference for academic disciplines, Al Ain University, 31/1/2016- 4/2/2016.
Wasan Shaker Awad, “The effect of mutation operation on GP- based stream ciphers design algorithm “, 5th International Conference on Agents and Artificial Intelligence, 15-18 Feb 2013, Spain, pp. 455-450.
Wasan Shaker Awad, “Designing Stream Cipher Systems Using Genetic Programming”, Learning and optimization (LION5), 21/1/2011, Rome, Italy.
Wasan Shaker Awad , “Designing Binary Linear Block Codes Using Genetic Simulated Annealing”, The international conference on intelligent systems (ICIS 2008), 1-3 Dec. 2008, Bahrain.
AL_Hamdani W. A. K., Wasan Shaker Awad, and Abbas F. Abdul Kader , “Adaptive ciphertext-only attack using GP ”, the first Conference on Data Security, Baghdad, 1999.
Wasan Shaker Awad, El-Sayed M. El-Alfy, and Yousif Al-Bastaki, and, “Improving Information Security Practices through Computational Intelligence”, IGI Global, 2016.
AL_Hamdani W. A. K. & Wasan Shaker Awad, “Stream Cipher Systems”, Iraq, 1997.
Wasan Shaker Awad, and Amal Al Hiddi, “Automated Design of Stream Ciphers Using GADS”, 2016, pp. 46-73.
Wasan Shaker Awad, and El-Sayed M. El-Alfy, “Computational Intelligence in Cryptology”, 2016, pp. 28-44.
El-Sayed M. El-Alfy and Wasan Shaker Awad, “Computational Intelligence Paradigms: An Overview”, 2016, pp. 1-27.