Currently an Assistant Professor in the College of Business and Finance since 2014, Ahlam Hassan is discharging the additional duty as President Assistant for Quality Assurance since 2005. She was approved as a recognised supervisor of Brunel University UK in 2015, which entitles her to supervise PhD students of Brunel University. She completed her PhD (Management Studies Research) in 2014 in Brunel University, UK.
Her topic of research in her PhD was “Leadership Styles and effectiveness: a study of business school deans in higher education” and earned the distinction of being the first awardee of the Dean’s Prize for Innovation and Impact in Doctoral Research in the academic year 2014-2015 by Brunel University (UK). She earned her Master’s Degree in Information Technology Management, in the year 2006 from the University of Sunderland (UK).
She joined Ahlia University in 2001 when Ahlia University was being established and has served the University since inception in different capacities including Personal Assistant to the President and Acting Director of Administration and Finance. She has a rich experience in organisational affairs and has actively involved herself in the quality assurance activities across the University. She has played a major role in the development of the quality management system for Ahlia University and continues to be actively involved in the development and implementation of the system across the University.
Additional roles include participation as a key member of the team responsible for the development of the Strategic Plan and overseeing its implementation. Her responsibilities include overseeing the development and implementation of Quality Assurance activities in Ahlia University and supporting the management in making major decisions based on the outcome of the quality assurance activities. Besides this, she has a vast experience in many other areas including strategic planning, budgeting and personal administration.
Her strong leadership abilities combined with high level of motivation enables her perform as a team leader while executing projects on a turnkey basis.
She is an active researcher and her research interests include areas like leadership in higher education institutions, organisational behaviour, human resource management, decision quality, quality management systems and strategy in firms.
As an academic faculty member she is teaching undergraduate students in the area of quality management.
She has participated in many conferences and has delivered on topics related to quality management, women leadership and strategy. She has conducted seminars on quality management. Her presentations include:
1. Second ANQAHE/DAAD/SCU Regional Conference on Quality Assurance in Higher Education in the Arab States Region: Sustainability and Future Development held in Conrad Hotel Egypt from 6th -8th June, 2015.
2.Fifth QS-Maple Conference and Exhibition organised by QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited held at the Grand Hyatt Doha from 5th – 7th May, 2015. Submitted an abstract on the topic “Ahlia University Strategirhees towards academic offerings with employability skills and sustainability of high quality standards” that was accepted.
3. Third QAA Conference entitled “Quality of Education & Training: Sustainability & Employability” by National Authority for Qualifications & Quality Assurance of Education and Training during 17th – 19th February, 2015 in Kingdom of Bahrain. Presented a poster on the topic “Ahlia University Strategies for Employability & Sustainability towards producing Quality Graduates”.
4. Forum entitled “The National Qualifications Framework: A new Dimension to our Education Economy” organised by National Authority for Qualifications & Quality Assurance of Education and Training during 22nd- 23rd October, 2014. Successfully delivered a presentation on behalf of Ahlia University reflecting “Implementation of The National Qualifications Framework in Higher Education”.
5. Doctoral Symposium organised jointly by Ahlia University (Bahrain) and Brunel University, (UK) in the Kingdom of Bahrain on 18th – 19th May, 2014.
6. Fourth Doctoral Symposium organised jointly by Ahlia University (Bahrain) and Brunel University, (UK) in the Kingdom of Bahrain on 28th – 29th May, 2013.
7. Second Conference entitled “Quality Education and Training: Challenges and Opportunities” organised by Quality Assurance Authority for Education and Training (QAAET) in the Kingdom of Bahrain during 19th -21st February, 2013.
8. 7th International Conference for “Strategic Planning towards Quality and Accreditation of Academic and Educational Institutions” held in Egypt from 22nd -24th December, 2012.
9. Chaired a session for 5th International Quality Conference entitled “Quality towards Excellence held in Kingdom of Bahrain by Bahrain Quality Society during 5th – 6th December, 2012.
10. The International Leadership Conference (ILC 2012) entitled “Enforcing Regional Competitiveness through Leadership Critical Thinking and Innovation” organised by Bahrain Management Society from 15th -16th May, 2012.
11. Third Doctoral Symposium organised jointly by Ahlia University, (Bahrain) and Brunel University, (UK) in the Kingdom of Bahrain on 14th -15th April, 2012.
12. 1st Conference of the Arab Network for Quality Assurance in Higher Education organised by Arab Network for Quality Assurance in Higher Education (ANQAHE) held in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates on 13th-15th December, 2011.
13. Second PhD Symposium organised jointly by Ahlia University (Bahrain) and Brunel University (UK) held in Kingdom of Bahrain on 28th February– 1st March, 2010.
14. First PhD Symposium organised jointly by Ahlia University (Bahrain) and Brunel University (UK) held in Kingdom of Bahrain on 28th February – 1st March, 2009.
15. The International Network for Quality Assurance Agencies in Higher Education Biennial Conference organised by International Network for Quality Assurance Agencies in Higher Education (INQAAHE) held in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates on 30th March, – 2nd April, 2009. Also attended two workshops entitled “Preparing Institutions for Self-Assessment & Evaluating Quality Assurance Agencies organised jointly by INQAAHE and Commission for Academic Accreditation, United Arab Emirates.
16. GHEDEX 2008 Gulf Higher Education Exhibition organised by Oman International Trade Exhibitions (OITE) in Muscat, Sultanate of Oman in April, 2008.
17. The 2nd Annual Quality Congress Middle East organised by e-TQM College at the Cultural & Scientific Association in Dubai, UAE during 6th – 9th April, 2008.
18. Third International Leadership & Management Conference organised by Bahrain Management Society in Kingdom of Bahrain from 2nd – 3rd December, 2006. Honoured the organiser award for effective and efficient participation by successfully managing the session assigned as chairperson.