Dr Adel M. Sarea is an Associate Professor of Accounting at Ahlia University. He received his PhD in Economics and Business Administration (Accounting) from the Faculty of Economics and Business Administration at the Islamic Science University of Malaysia in 2011. He joined Ahlia University in September 2011 and has been Director of the Ahlia MBA program since 2013. He conducts research in the areas of Accounting for Islamic Financial Institutions, International Accounting Standards, Financial Reporting, Earning Quality, Earning Management, Intellectual Capital and Accounting Education. Dr Sarea has published more than 30 papers in well-respected international journals, he has been appointed as a recognized PhD supervisor by Brunel University (UK). He also serves as a member of the editorial boards in a number of international journals. He serves as a Trainer for Accounting for Non-Accountants, Accounting for Islamic Financial Institutions, International Accounting Standards, Financial Reporting and Accounting Education.
He has more than 31 papers, 23 papers published, 2 accepted papers, 1 Submitted Papers, 5 Research in Progress in regional and international Journals that discussed several accounting issues.
He awarded the Best Paper Award, Adoption of AAOIFI Accounting Standards by Islamic Banks of Bahrain: Journal of Financial Reporting and Accounting. Vol.11, Iss. 1, 2013. pp 131-142. Emerald Publishing Group Literati Network Awards for Excellence
Areas of research interests:
- Accounting for Islamic Financial Institutions
- International Accounting Standards
- Financial Reporting
- Earning Quality
- Earning Management
- Intellectual Capital
- Accounting Education
Undergraduate: Principles of Accounting (1+2), Intermediate Accounting, International Accounting, Accounting system & Managerial Accounting.
Graduate: Advanced Topics in Accounting, Financial Accounting, Financial Reporting & Control, Managerial Accounting.
- Fatima Al-Rawahi “An Investigation of the level of Compliance with International Accounting Standards (IAS 1) by Listed firms in Bahrain Bourse- MBA program- Ahlia University
- Zainab A. Hussein “The adoption of International Accounting Standards (IAS 19) by Listed firms in Bahrain Bourse- MBA program- Ahlia University
- Maryam Abdulla Juma Mehaiza, “Risk Management in Government sector: Ministry of Works (MOW)”. Master of Engineering Management Program, George Washington University/ Ahlia University
- Wael Ezzeldeen Mohamed Arafa, “Role of Finance in Engineering Management: A Qualitative Study”, Master of Engineering Management Program, George Washington University/ Ahlia University
- In 2016 presented paper for the “The Fourth Annual RESEARCH FORUM 28 – 29 March 2016, Hosted by the College of Graduate Studies and Research” Manama, Bahrain. Entitled “Increasing citations: The “Bahrain Scholar” project”: The Case of selected Banks in Bahrain”. 28 – 29 March 2016
- In 2013 presented paper for the AAOIFI – World Bank Annual Conference on Islamic Banking and Finance entitled “The move towards global Accounting Standards for Islamic Financial Institutions: additional evidence from AAOIFI”. Manama, Kingdom of Bahrain. Nov.18-19,2013
- In 2010 presented paper for the 4th Islamic banking, accounting and finance conference (iBAF2010) entitled, “The adoption of the AAOIFI accounting standards: Diffusion of innovation” The conference was organized by Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Islamic Science University of Malaysia. 13 & 14 October 2010.
- In 2010 presented a paper entitled, “The extent of compliance with the AAOIFI accounting standards by Islamic Banks in Bahrain and Malaysia” USIM 1st POSTGRADUATE CONFERENCE
- In 2010 participated at the workshop of the skills development programme on SPSS that was hold between 21 Jun to 23 Jun 2010 which organized by International Islamic University Malaysia.
- In 2010 participated the Early Career Researcher Consortium- 8 November 2010 Collaboration between IAAER, ACCA, MAREF and University Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- In 2010 attended the workshop on Shari’ah issues on Islamic finance and wealth management. The conference was organized by Faculty of Economics and Business Administration – Islamic Science University of Malaysia. 14th November 2010.
- In 2012, attending a Staff Development Session (in PhD Supervision) for the 4th till the 5th of June 2012. Run by Brunel University London and Ahlia University, Manama- Kingdom of Bahrain.
- March I7, 2012, Advisor & Counselor Roles at Ahlia University (1), Soft Skills Workshop, Manama- Kingdom of Bahrain.
- March 12, 2012, the Methodology of Teaching & Learning at Ahlia University, Manama- Kingdom of Bahrain.
- March 19, 2012, Advisor & Counselor Roles at Ahlia University (2), Manama-Kingdom of Bahrain.
- May 21 & 23, 2012, Teaching Methodology, Ahlia University, Manama-Kingdom of Bahrain.
- January 19, 2013- February 16, 2013, Training of Trainers-Enterprise Creation in Ahlia University. UNIDO program (United Nation).
- February 19, 2013, attending seminar about “Can the Chinese currency “Yuan” be a reserve currency” organized by the Bahrain Overseas Centre of the Institute of Cost Accountants of India. Ahlia University. Manama, Kingdom of Bahrain
- February 27, 2013, ACCA and Accounting Profession, organizing by College of Business and Finance, Ahlia University. Manama, Kingdom of Bahrain
- March 3, 2013, Building Economic Awareness: A key step toward a knowledge-based society, organized The Economic Development Board (EDB) and the Centre for Research at Bahrain Institute of Banking and Finance (BIBF), Financial Harbour, Manama, Kingdom of Bahrain
- May 28 & 29, 2013 attending a Doctoral Symposium, organized jointly by Ahlia University, Kingdom of Bahrain & Brunel University London, United Kingdom.
The Role Of Ownership Structure In Reducing Agency Costs In Bahraini Listed Firms, Journal Of Economics And Business Studies, Hamdan, A, Sarea, A And Salamh, M (October, 2016), Volume 24, No. 4, Pp. 78-94, Print Issn: 2410-8723, Online Issn:2410-5198.
The Relationship Between Intellectual Capital And Earnings Quality: Evidence From Listed Firms In Bahrain Bourse, Sarea, A And Hasan, S (2016), International Journal Of Learning And Intellectual Capital, Vol. 13, No. 4, Pp. 302-315.
The Impact Of Accounting Standards On Earnings Quality: The Case Of Islamic Banks In Bahrain, Sarea, A (2016), Corporate Ownership And Control, Vol. 13, No. 4, Pp. 160-164.
An Investigation Of The Level Of Compliance With International Accounting Standards (Ias 1) By Listed Firms In Bahrain Bourse, International Journal Of Islamic And Middle Eastern Finance And Management, Alrawahi, F And Sarea, A(2016), Vol. 9, Issue 2, Pp. 254-276.
Determinations Of Internet Financial Reporting: Evidence Form Bahrain Bourse, Al Jawder, N. And Sarea, A (2016), Jordan Journal Of Business Administration, Vol. 12 , Issue 4, Pp. 935-960, Isbn: 1450-2887.
The Level Of Compliance With International Accounting Standard Ias 18 By Listed Firms In Bahrain, Budaraj, I And Sarea, A (2015), Journal Of Investment And Management, Vol. 4, Issue 5, Pp. 216-227.
The Impact Of Capital Structure And Certain Firm Specific Variables On The Value Of The Firm: Empirical Evidence From Kuwait, Gharaibeh, A And Sarea, A (2015), Journal Of Corporate Ownership And Control (Virtus Interpress), Vol. 13 No. 1, Pp. 831-840.
Evaluate the classroom assessment techniques (cats) for accounting program of Bahrain training institute (BTI) in the kingdom of Bahrain: Haji, Mria and Sarea, A (2015), American Journal of Theoretical and Applied Business, volume 1 (1) pp. 14-20. 2015.
Bridging the gap between the perceptions of accounting students and accounting practitioners: Evidence from Ahlia University of Bahrain, Sarea, A & Alrawahi, F (2014), Jordan Journal of Business Administration, Volume 10, No. 4, 2014. pp 723-740.
Adoption of AAOIFI Accounting Standards by Islamic Banks of Bahrain: Journal of Financial Reporting and Accounting. Sarea, A & Haji, M (2014), Outstanding Paper of 2014, Emerald Group Publishing. Vol.11, Iss. 1, 2013. pp 131-142.
The Impact of Management Structure and Bank Characteristics on the Level of Compliance with IAS 21: Evidence from Bahrain, Sarea, A & Alnesif, H (2013), International Journal of Accounting and Taxation, USA. Vol. 1 No. 1, December 2013. pp 58-68.
Accounting Treatment of Zakah: Additional Evidence from AAOIFI, Sarea, A (2013), Journal of Islamic Banking and Finance. USA. , Vol. 1 No. 1, December 2013. pp 23-28.
The need of accounting standards for Islamic Financial Institutions: Evidence from AAOIFI. Sarea, A & Haji, M (2013), Journal of Islamic Accounting and Business Research (JIABR), UK. Emerald Group Publishing. Vol.4, Iss. 1, 2013. pp 64-76.
The Impact of audit committee characteristics on the performance: evidence from Jordan, Hamdan, A, Sarea, A & Redh, S (2013), International Management Review. The American Scholars Press. Vol. 9 No. 1 2013. pp 32-42.
The Need of Accounting Standards for Islamic Financial Institutions, Sarea, A (2013), International Management Review, the American Scholars Press. Vol. 9 No. 2 2013. pp 50-59.
The move towards global Accounting Standards for Islamic Financial Institutions: Evidence from AAOIFI. Sarea, A (2013), Journal of Islamic Economics, Banking and Finance. Vol. 9 No. 4, October-December, 2013. pp. 153-163.
The Level of Compliance with AAOIFI Accounting Standards: Evidence from Bahrain. Sarea, A (2012), International Management Review. The American Scholars Press. Vol. 8, No. 2, 2012. pp 27-33.
Zakat as a benchmark to evaluate Economic Growth: an alternative approach. Sarea, A (2012), International Journal of Business and Social Science. USA. Vol. 3 No. 18, September, 2012. pp 241-245.
The extent of the Jordanian industrial corporations’ compliance with International Accounting Standard No.16 for the property, plant, and equipment. Seiam, W & Sarea, A (2007), Journal of King Abdulaziz University-Economics and Administration. Vol.1. Iss. 21. 2007. pp 103 – 158.
The Impact Of AAOIFI Accounting Standards On Earnings Quality: The Case Of Selected Banks In Bahrain, Adel Sarea (May 26, 2016), Past And Future Of Corporate Governance: Practices, Reforms And Regulations, Rome (Italy).
The Move Towards Global Accounting Standards For Islamic Financial Institutions: Additional Evidence From AAOIFI, Adel Sarea (Nov.18-19, 2013), World Bank Annual Conference On Islamic Banking And Finance, Manama, Kingdom Of Bahrain.