Dr. Baraa Sharif obtained his BSc in Computer Science from the University of Mosul, Iraq, in 2008. He obtained his MSc in Information Technology from the National University of Malaysia, Malaysia, in 2011. His PhD in Information Technology was acquired from the National University of Malaysia, Malaysia, in 2016.
His research interests include: Intelligent Transportation System, Vehicular Ad hoc Networks, Routing Protocols in Wireless Communication, Information Retrieval, Natural Language Processing, and Image Processing.
Dr. Baraa Sharif is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Information Technology, Ahlia University, Bahrain. Before joining Ahlia University, Dr. Sharif worked as a Research Assistant at the Faculty of Information Science & Technology, from 2012 to 2015. He has also conducted additional laboratory work for the degree and foundation programs at the Faculty of Information Science & Technology. He has published several papers in various highly ranked journal papers and conference papers.
Dr. Baraa is a member of various advisory and organizing committees in Ahlia University. Moreover, he is a member of a number of scientific and professional societies, such as, IEEE and ACM.
He is a reviewer for several international journals and conferences such as: Journal of Neural Computing and Applications-Springer and IEEE International Conference on Advanced Computer Science Applications and Technologies. He has received many awards in research such as: the ‘Certificate of excellence’ for the best research award in Faculty of Science and Information Technology, National University of Malaysia, 2014, and a ‘Certificate of appreciation’ from the ministry of higher education and scientific research of Iraq on July 7, 2013.
Dr. Baraa has attended, participated and organized many seminars and workshops.
His favorite’s sports and hobbies include swimming, reading, travelling, meeting new people, exploring traditional cuisine, history and culture.
- ‘Certificate of excellence’ for best research award in Faculty of Science and Information Technology, National University of Malaysia. 2014.
- ‘Certificate of appreciation’ from the ministry of higher education and scientific research of Iraq on July 7, 2013.
- Intelligent Transportation System
- Vehicular Ad hoc Networks
- Routing Protocols in Wireless Communication
- Information Retrieval
- Natural Language Processing
- Multi-Criteria Decision Making
- Machine learning
He teaches the following courses in Information Technology:
- -Object Oriented Programming
- -Data Structures
- -Information Systems
- -Computer Systems and Architecture
- -Human Computer Interaction
- – Artificial intelligence
- -Introduction to networks and communications
Dr. Baraa has supervised a number of undergraduate major projects and master dissertations in the areas of:
- Network and wireless communication
- Information retrieval and national language processing
International Refereed Conferences
1. Sohail Safdar, Mohd Fadzil Hassan, Rehan Akbar, Baraa T. Sharef and Muhammad Aasim Qureshi “Mechanism to Continue System Availability during Cyber Threat Scenario” ACM IMCOM 2017, 5-7 January, Beppu, Japan. (Published)
2. Baraa T. Sharef, Raed A. Alsaqour, and Mahamod Ismail. “”Comparative Study of Variant Position-Based VANET Routing Protocols.”” Procedia Technology 11 (2013): 532-539. (Published)
3. Baraa T. Sharef, Raed A. Alsaqour, and Mahamod Ismail. “”A comparison of various vehicular ad hoc routing protocols based on communication environments.”” Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Ubiquitous Information Management and Communication. ACM, 2013. (Published)
4. Sharef, Zeyad T., Ammar E. Alaradi, and Baraa T. Sharef,. “”Performance evaluation for WiMAX 802.16 e OFDMA physical layer.”” Computational Intelligence, Communication Systems and Networks (CICSyN), 2012 Fourth International Conference on. IEEE, 2012. (Published)
(*) Current H-index: 5
Available on below Google Scholar Citation https:
· Books Reviewed
- Administrative Science Encyclopedia, English-Arabic (2017)
International Refereed Journals
1- Baraa T. Sharef, Raed A. Alsaqour, and Mahamod Ismail. “”Vehicular communication ad hoc routing protocols: A survey.”” Journal of network and computer applications 40 (2014): 363-396. (Q1) (Published, IF = 2.229 ISI-2014 JCR)
2- Baraa T. Sharef, Nazlia Omar, and Zeyad T. Sharef. “”An automated Arabic text categorization based on the frequency ratio accumulation.”” Int. Arab J. Inf. Technol. 11.2 (2014): 213-221. (Published, IF = 0.582 ISI-2014 JCR)
3- Malallah, Fahad Layth; Baraa T. Sharef, Aljawaryy, Zaid Ahmed; Khmag, Asem. “Object Real Length Measurement inside Image as Computer Metrology”. International Journal of Artificial Intelligence and Mechatronics.5.3 (2016): 12-16. (Published)
4- Fahad Layth Malallah, Baraa T. Sharef, Zaid Ahmed Aljawaryy, Asem Khmag, Lway Faisal A.Razak, “”Irreversible Biometric Template Protection by Trigonometric Function.”” International Review on Computers and Software (IRECOS) (2017) 21-03 (Published)
5- Al Dhabooni, Salima Rashid, Hothefa Shaker Jassim, Zeyad T. Sharef, and Baraa T. Sharef. “Survey: Security Attacks in Wireless Sensor Networks.” International Advanced Research Journal in Science, Engineering and Technology , Vol. 4, Issue 5, May, 2017.